Главная » Статьи » Семейные истории

Stuart Shaw - From Gourock in Australia. The history of our family. Part First. Leon Shroog


Stuart Shaw - From Gourock in Australia. The history of our family. Part First. Leon Shroog


Mail <saul697@gmail.com> 


      Lewis Shaw left Russia from Gorki in 1909, travelled across Siberia to Harbin, in Manchuria where he stayed for nine months. After leaving Harbin, he went to Kamchatka, from where he travelled to Japan. From there he embarked on the ship The SS Yawata Maru which was travelling to Brisbane. He arrived in Brisbane on May 1 1910.He was the first of the Shroog family to migrate to Australia.

     When Lewis stepped off the gangplank at the docks, it was the family's first contact with their eventual home. He had about 10 pounds in his pocket and spoke little English. At first, he tried his hand as a hawker in the busy Queensland capital, selling various goods from door to door on the city streets to make some money.After he been in Brisbane for a while, he looked around & saw that the women living on farms in the rural areas near Brisbane had to travel into town in a horse & sulky whenever they needed to buy any household goods. Lew hit on the idea that he would go out to them with a selection of common household goods that they might require.So he traveled out to the outlying farms with his range of merchandise & would sleep in his caravan while on the road. He did very well at this & earned enough to bring out Jack Shaw, Ruby & Jack Bogen from America, where they had been living for some time. They arrived in Brisbane in February 1911.

      This was how he met Mary, who had been widowed a year or two beforehand. They married in Brisbane in March 1912.Later in 1912, they moved to Coominya, a small town in central Queensland, where Lewis opened his first store, a general store, selling various household goods. Their first son, Alexander, was born a year later in the small town of Esk Qld, while they were living in Coominya.

      The next year, 1914, the family moved to the town of Wellington in central western NSW, where Lew opened a general store. I have a photo of the store, with Lew standing outside with baby Alexander in his arms. The sign on the front of the shop reads "Shroug & Co, General Storekeepers."



The family stayed in Wellington about 9 years. While he ran thestore in Wellington, Lew also opened up stores in the nearby townsof Gilgandra & Coonamble. He used to open these stores one day a week each & sleep overnight in the store. He often used to travel down to Melbourne & Sydney by train to buy merchandise for the stores, things like factory seconds & off cuts etc.


      Although the rest of the family were in the hotel business, Lew only tried running a pub once. This was the Royal Hotel in Cleveland St, Redfern which they took over in about 1922/23. The main clientele for this pub were the workers from the Everleigh railway workshops & an assorted bunch of criminals, pimps & prostitutes.Apparently, the well known gangster of the time, Sqizzy Taylor, planned a lot of his operations from this pub, around about this time.

    After about 6 months of this, Lew decided that running a pub wasn't for him & returned to what he knew best. After leaving the pub, the family moved to Ipswich for about a year, where they ran 2 stores. A men's wear store & ladies wear store right next to each other.They then moved on to Tamworth, in North Western NSW in about 1924-25.

     While running the store in Tamworth, Lew also opened up stores in two of the nearby towns, Armidale & Barraba.The first store in Tamworth, a drapery & millinery store, was located at 451 Peel St. Lew looked after the drapery & men's wear side, while Mary looked after the millinery side. She also looked after the store on her own when Lew was away at the other stores. In about 1928 -29, they moved to a new store at 305 Peel St, which had recently been vacated by Cyril Cahill, the chemist, who Alexander was to work for a few years later. They remained in this store until about 1938-39.

      There was a small Jewish community in Tamworth at the time & Lew was instrumental in forming a congregation. They had regular services, first in people's homes & then in rented premises. They had their first Minyan in 1934. From 1934 Lew was reader for the congregation & also the caretaker of the congregation's rooms.The Hebrew Standard of June 16 1938 published an article about the Tamworth Hebrew Congregation & complimented Lew on the way he conducted the Shavuot services.He resigned as Reader & Caretaker of the congregation in October 1939.

     While living in Tamworth, he was also an alderman on the Tamworth council.During the Second World War, he served as in the Australian Army, he was a Sergeant in the 6th Battalion, Volunteer Defence Corps, based in Tamworth NSW.


      In the late 1940's Lew moved to Sydney & bought property in the Homebush & Bankstown areas. He was a Labour alderman on the Bankstown council between 1951 & 1955 & was Deputy Mayor of Bankstown in 1952.


    He was also active in the Bankstown synagogue.He died in April 1956.

Перевод текста на русский язык даётся в сокращении.

     Льюис Шоу покинул Россию из Горок в 1909 году, затем путешествовал по Сибири в Харбин (Маньчжурии), где пробыл девять месяцев. После отъезда из Харбина он отправился на Камчатку, откуда поехал в Японию. Затем отправился на корабле SS Yawata Мару в Брисбен (Австралия). Он прибыл в Брисбен 1 мая 1910.

   Он был первым из семьи Shroog , которые иммигрировали в Австралию.Когда Льюис сошел по трапу в доке у него было около 10 фунтов в кармане и он немного говорит по-английски. Вначале он решил попробовать свои силы в шумной столице Квинсленда и стал продавать различные товары, разнося их от двери до двери на городских улицах, чтобы заработать немного денег.

       После того как он пожил в Брисбене, он осмотрелся и увидел, что женщинам, живущие на фермах в сельских районах вблизи Брисбена приходилось ездить в город на лошадях для того, чтобы купить товары для дома. Льюсу пришла в голову идея, что он может поехать к ним с выбором обычных бытовых товаров, которые они могут потребовать.

   Таким образом, он отправился к окрестным фермам с товарами и при этом спал он в своей каравана, а на дороге. Ему удалось это осуществить, и он заработал достаточно, чтобы вывести своих родных Джека Шоу, Ruby Jack Bogen из Америки, где они жили в течение некоторого времени. Они прибыли в Брисбен в феврале 1911 г.

    Перед этим он встретил Марию (Мэри), которая овдовела год или два назад. Они поженились в Брисбене в марте 1912г.

     Позже в 1912 году они переехали в Coominya, маленький городок в Центральном Квинсленде, где Льюис открыл свой первый магазин– универмаг, где стал продавать различные товары для дома.

       Их первый сын, Александр, родился годом позже в небольшом городке Эск- Квинсленд, в то время как они жили в Coominya.

  В следующем 1914 году, семья переехала в город Веллингтон, где Льюс открыл бакалейный магазин. У меня есть фото из магазина, где Льюс, стоит с ребенком. Сын Александр у него на руках. Надпись на передней части магазина гласит: "Shroug и Co, общие товары».

     Семья оставалась в Веллингтоне около 9 лет. В то время он открыл магазины также в соседних городах Gilgandra и Coonamble. Он использовал их так, что открывал эти магазины один день в неделю и сам ночевал в магазинах. Он часто ездил в Мельбурн и Сидней на поезде, чтобы купить товары для магазинов…

     Остальные члены семьи были в гостиничном бизнесе. И тогда Льюс попытался открыть паб. Это было в Royal Hotel в Кливленде St, Редферн. Он открыл его примерно в 1922/23гг.Основными клиентами этого паба были рабочие железнодорожных мастерских Everleigh и иногда преступники, сутенеры и проститутки.

     По-видимому, туда заходил известный гангстер того времени, Sqizzy Тейлор...Через 6 месяцев, Льюс решил, что работа в пабе не для него и он вернулся к тому, что знал лучше всего. После ухода из паба, семья переехала в Ипсвич и около года, они содержали 2 магазина: мужской одежды и магазин женской одежды. Магазины были рядом друг с другом.

    Затем они переехали в Tamworth, на северо-запад штата Новый Южный Уэльс. Это было примерно в 1924-25гг. Во время работы магазина в Tamworth, Льюс также открыл магазины в двух соседних городах, Армидэйл и Barraba.

Первый магазин в Tamworth, продавал драпировку и шляпы Он был расположен на 451 Peel Санкт. Льюс торговал драпировкой и мужской одеждой. Его жена Мэри продавала шляпы, а также заботилась о магазинах, когда Льюс был в отъезде. Примерно 1928 -29 году они переехали в новое мнсто на 305 Peel St. Они оставались в этом магазине примерно до 1938-39гг..

      В Tamworth была небольшая еврейская община и Льюс сыграл важную роль в её организации и деятельности. Они с женой оказывали общине регулярные услуги, сначала в домах людей, а затем в арендованных помещениях. Они провели свой первый миньян в 1934 году…  Иврит Стандарт 16 июня 1938 опубликовал статью о евреях Tamworth и похвалил Льюса за то, что он помогал отметить праздник Шавуот. Он ушел в отставку в качестве председателя общины в октябре 1939 года.

   Живя в Tamworth, он был также членом Совета Тамворта.

Во время Второй мировой войны он служил в австралийской армии, где был сержантом в 6-ом батальоне ополчения обороны, базирующейся в Tamworth NSW. В конце 1940-х Льюс переехал в Сидней и приобрел недвижимость в районах Хомбуш и Bankstown. Он был членом Совета Бэнкстаун между 1951 и 1955 и заместителем мэра Бэнкстаун в 1952 году. Он также активно участвовал в работе синагоге Бэнкстаун. Льюс умер в апреле 1956года.



Категория: Семейные истории | Добавил: lwm468071 (05.02.2015)
Просмотров: 335 | Рейтинг: 0.0/0
Всего комментариев: 0